This city's historical appearance with its magnificent palaces and numerous artistic treasures testify to its past importance. As early as Roman times, there was a settlement here called Divio, which was located on the major road from Lyon to Mainz. Yet the city's heyday came a thousand years later when Dijon became part of the Duchy of Burgundy and, in 1477, the capital of the royal province of Burgundy. The focal point of the beautiful old town is the Place de la Libération with the Palace of the Dukes of Burgundy. Its east wing houses one of the most distinguished art museums in France, the Musée des Beaux Arts. The city's most famous son is Gustave Eiffel, who designed the city's market hall. Today, Dijon has a population of around 150,000 and a large university with 30,000 students.