Situated in Cumbria in northwest England, this scenic region famous for its mountains and lakes was declared a national park in 1951. The 16 natural lakes romantically tucked in among the hills and dales were formed by glaciers over 15,000 years ago. One of England's few mountainous regions, this is also its wettest. The park is home to a plethora of wildlife, including some rare and endangered species such as England's only pair of nesting Golden Eagles and certain varieties of fish. Popular guides to the Lake District were published in the 18th and 19th centuries by Daniel Defoe and William Wordsworth, among others, which began the era of modern tourism in the region. Despite the park's popularity as a tourist destination, it remains a nature-lovers' paradise.
Nice stop for lunch or tea
Not far from the highway exit of Penrith lies the manor house with origins in the 13th century. House and garden are both listed. In the Kitchen Garden Café you can get everything from late breakfast and lunch to afternoon tea. Afterwards you can stretch your legs on the Garden and Animal Trail. The short path leads through the traditional herb garden, past the grass hedge and subtropical plants. A little further afield, sheep, goats, chickens and ducks run across the meadow. The small animal farm is especially proud of the pigs from an old English breed.
Neolithic stone circle
The stone circle of Castlerigg is one of the largest in England. It is located in the eastern Lake District amidst grassy hills. The 42 stones were arranged in a 70 meter long oval from an unknown culture of the Neolithic period 5000 years ago. The purpose of the site is unknown and remains a mystery to archaeologists and prehistorians to this day. The place has a magical aura, especially when fog or deep clouds cover the sun.
English Heritage Overseas Visitor Pass
Most beautiful lake in the Lake District
The fourth largest lake in England is considered to be the most beautiful in the Lake District. It lies near Keswick in front of the amazing backdrop of grassy mountains and densely wooded banks. The view of the lake from Castle Head is particularly beautiful. Excursion boats operate between different moorings, one of which is in Keswick. An extensive network of hiking trails stretches around the lake.
Hike to the third highest mountain in England
The third highest mountain in the Lake District and also in England is 950 meters high and belongs to the Helvellyn Range, which lies between the lakes Ullswater and Thirlmere. In the west it drops off as a grassy hill, to the east it is steep and stony. The summit is marked by a mighty stone pillar (cairn). Those who want to climb the mountain from Ullswater have to climb one of the two clearly defined ridges, which means an easy climb without the necessary safety technique. At the top you will be rewarded with a panoramic view that reaches far into Scotland and the Pennines. (round trip: 14.3 kilometers, 5:30 hours, up and down: 830 meters)
From the watchtower to the prestigious castle complex
The castle near Skelton in Cumbria was originally a Pele Tower in the Forest of Inglewood. The towers were common on both sides of the Scottish-English border in the Middle Ages. They are reminiscent of castle keeps and served as protection against reciprocal attacks. When the border was finally pacified, other buildings were added that were more prestigious than defensive. In 1730 a fenced garden was added, which today attracts many visitors.
A symbol of transience
John Lowther, who was Viscount of Lonsdale at the end of the 17th century, must have been very rich, because he had a magnificent family residence built, which contemporaries thought could only be compared to the palace of the Chinese emperor. Unfortunately, one of his descendants was prone to costly extravagances, so the entire family fortune was confiscated. The country house was closed in 1937 and housed a tank regiment during the Second World War, which apparently did not take much care of the venerable property. At the end of the 1940s Lowther Castle was so run down that the roof was untiled. Today only the walls stand in a well-kept landscape park. They are an impressive symbol of the transience of fame and wealth.
Mansion of the Earls of Derby
The history of the manor dates back to the 16th century. It was built for the Earl of Derby, who needed a prestigious estate for his visits to his lands in Cumberland. In the 18th and 19th centuries, a few extensions were added before decay began in the 20th century. In 1961 the house was sold and thoroughly renovated by the father of the current owner. All the rooms were done up one after the other: The library, the music room, the school and children's rooms. Today all rooms on the ground floor are open to the public – as well as the garden that won a prize as Visitor Attraction of the Year 2017.