The name of the city that started out in 534 AD as a chapel in a meadow means “Dear Green Place”. That name had ceased to apply to the city covered with soot after serving as Scotland's industrial center for over 200 years. Today, however, Glasgow is slowly beginning to do honor to its name once again. The transformation into a business, financial and services center has been more successful here than in many other parts of Great Britain. Dilapidated factory buildings on the Clyde River have given way to parks, the old docks have been converted into modern living quarters. The buildings once darkened by centuries of pollution are now clean, and a new, glass-covered mall has been built at Princess Square. Glasgow is surrounded by scenic landscapes: The North West Highlands, the Grampians and Loch Lomond are only a short drive away.
Spiritual place for the living and the dead
Since 1831, more than 50,000 people have made their last journey across the Bridge of Sighs to the necropolis of Glasgow. It is situated on a hill east of St. Mungo's Cathedral with a beautiful view of the city centre. The necropolis, the size of 20 football pitches, consists of countless mausoleums, pavilions, tombs and memorial stones. There's a story behind every one of them. John Knox stands high above all others on a 17 meter high column. The dreaded reformer of Scotland watches strictly and relentlessly over the peace of the dead.
Pioneering Art Nouveau building
Charles Rennie Mackintosh was just 28 years old when he constructed buildings for the art academy. The ingenious Art Nouveau building was completed in 1909 and was soon regarded as the “beacon of 20th century architecture”, as its design is already decisively determined by its construction and function. Decorative details only play a minor role. The northern front was dominated by unusually large windows for illuminating the studios. The interior architecture was also groundbreaking, especially the design of the library.